This post celebrates the opening of a new Mold Busters USA location in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Conveniently, our system of mold remediation doesn’t require demolition or restoration, and it is much less expensive!
Have you ever considered that you might have mold in your home or workspace? Even if you don’t see black spots on the walls, you would be wise to get an air test to check to make sure you are safe. Mold can be present even if not visible to the eye.
Dr. David Jacobs, from the National Center For Healthy Housing, states that 25% of all homes have mold. Molds are very common in buildings and homes and will grow anywhere indoors where there is moisture.
The most common molds found indoors are Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. There is also what is known as Stachybotrys chartarum or “toxic mold” – so nicknamed because it acts as a human pathogen. It is highly advisable to take action against mold in your dwelling place, even if you don’t think you harbor the species of Stachybotrys chartarum, because where there are some molds species, there will most likely be others:
Stachybotrys is rarely found in isolation, nearly always occurring in the presence of other fungi. This fact is critical, since many of the other species are capable of producing mycotoxins, and recent work suggests that volatiles from S. chartarum may represent a small fraction of the total amount present in problem buildings where other fungi exist. (The American Society for Microbiology: Clinical Microbiology Reviews)
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that Stachybotrys chartarum (also known by its synonym Stachybotrys atra) is a greenish-black mold. It can grow on material with a high cellulose and low nitrogen content, such as fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, dust, and lint. Growth occurs when there is moisture from water damage, excessive humidity, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding. Constant moisture is required for its growth. It is not necessary, however, to determine what type of mold you may have. All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, such as those with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.
People with a weakened immune system, such as people receiving treatment for cancer, people who have had an organ or stem cell transplant, and people taking medicines that suppress the immune system, are more likely to get mold infections.
Exposure to mold or dampness may also lead to the development of asthma in some individuals. Interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies. With our mold removal procedure, you can ensure that you don’t have to have to deal with the tragic consequences that this family went through because of the mold problems in their home: