FAQ About Mold

Books on a Shelf - Questions and Answers about Harmful MoldQ: Is mold in a house dangerous?

A: Yes, when mold is growing in a home toxic spores are being released and flowing through the vents and air ducts to every room of the home. The spores are then breathed in by the occupants and can cause serious medical problems.

Q: Is mold harmful to breathe?

A: Mold is definitely harmful to breathe. The severity of the mold as well as the type of mold and the person's individual tolerance will factor into the actual effects the mold has on the human body. Growth often occurs in hidden places inside a home and is the source of mysterious illnesses.

Q: What effects does mold have on people?

A: Depending on the type of spores growing, illnesses ranging from sinus infections and allergies to Alzheimer’s disease and MS can result. Illnesses can be very serious and mold toxins in the body are difficult for family doctors to measure. If you feel sick and the doctors aren’t sure why, getting your home tested for mold is a great idea.

Q: Can I use bleach to get rid of mold?

A: NO! This is  a common misconception. Bleach will cause the mold spores to lose their color and appear to be gone, however, the spores will not die. They will continue to grow without color and using a liquid bleach can even increase the speed at which they grow because of the added moisture and humidity.

Q: What causes mold to grow?

A: The individual mold spores are flowing throughout the open air all of the time. When the small proportion of spores are breathed outdoors they are combined with such a large portion of fresh air that they rarely have an effect. Sometimes in the spring the outdoor counts increase and create outdoor allergies. However, when moisture collects on a porous surface inside a building these few mold spores will attach themselves to that surface and will begin to grow at a rapid pace. Once these spores have attached, it takes much more than household cleaners to eliminate them.

Q: How do I get rid of mold?

A: There are over the counter products like “Kilz” that will slow the growth of the spores. However, this will not eliminate the problem and can still cause serious health effects. To get your home completely free of mold call a certified remediation company like Mold Busters.

Q: What Types of Mold are Harmful Other than Black Mold?

A: All types of mold, at the right concentration, can cause health issues.  Black mold is well known because it is common and at low concentrations can cause health issues.  Symptoms that various molds, inlcuding black mold cause are:

  • a runny or blocked nose
  • irritation of eyes
  • a dry cough
  • sinusitis
  • wheezing or shortness of breath
  • skin rashes
  • a sore throat
  • exacerbation of asthma and other preexisting lung problems